Risk Assessment Software
Risk assessment software is an important part of HIPAA compliance and Meaningful Use. Because of widespread misconceptions in the market, many health care players don’t realize that a risk assessment alone will not make you HIPAA or Meaningful Use compliant. Though a good start, there are many other necessary standards and regulatory requirements needed to fulfill both. Using risk assessment or HIPAA compliance software will allow you to satisfy Meaningful Use, while also completing all the necessary qualifications to become HIPAA compliant.
HIPAA Risk Assessment vs. Risk Analysis
A HIPAA risk assessment is different than a risk analysis in a many ways. A risk assessment looks compliance with HIPAA regulatory requirements, while the risk analysis look at the devices within you organization the store ePHI. Both are used to determine risk factors–or gaps– that call for remediation, but they require you to look at different aspects of your organization.
The HIPAA Risk Assessment will require you audit your organization on the following parts of the HIPAA rule:
What is the scope of a HIPAA Risk Assessment?
• Risk analysis procedures and demonstration of a risk management process;
• Policies and procedures relevant to operational security, including business associate security requirements;
• Information access restriction requirements and controls;
• Incident response procedures and disaster recovery plan and;
• Evidence of periodic technical and non technical reviews.
• Physical access controls, such as building access and appropriate record keeping;
• Policies and procedures for workstation security; and
• Proper usage, storage, and disposal of data storage devices
• Auditing and audit procedures;
• Use of encryption devices and tools if deemed appropriate;
• Implementation of technology to ensure ePHI confidentiality, integrity, and availability
After you have determined your gaps, you will then need to remediate and track the outcomes. Expertise and knowledge of the rules is critical when performing this process.
The Guard™ is your total HIPAA risk assessment and HIPAA compliance solution in one web-based platform. Users are guided by our team of expert Compliance Coaches to Achieve, Illustrate, and Maintain™ their compliance.
Find out how we can help today!
HIPAA Risk Assessment