In honor of National Doctor’s Day, Compliancy Group would like to recognize the incredible work that healthcare providers do every day. In today’s uncertain times, doctors are on the front lines doing all that they can to flatten the COVID-19 curve. National Doctor’s Day is a day to celebrate the commitment that doctors make to keep the country safe and healthy.
National Doctor’s Day was first celebrated on March 30, 1933 in Winder, Georgia. Eudora Brown Almond, a doctor’s wife, began honoring doctors by placing flowers on deceased doctor’s graves and mailing greeting cards to their families. However, it was not celebrated nationwide until 1990, when the House and Senate voted to adopt it as a national holiday.
Although the United States celebrates National Doctor’s Day on March 30 of each year, countries worldwide celebrate doctors on other days.
- Ontario: May 1, in honor of Canada’s first female doctor’s birthday.
- Australia: September 28, doctors across Australia donate to the international independent medical humanitarian organization, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), to honor their colleagues volunteering to provide medical care to underserved communities.
- Brazil: October 18, in honor of the doctor Saint Luke’s birthday.
- Cuba, Argentina, and Spain: December 3, in honor of Carlos Juan Finlay’s birthday, the Cuban doctor that discovered that mosquitoes carry yellow fever.
- India: July 1, in honor of the country’s most famous doctor’s birthday, B.C. Roy.
- Vietnam: February 27, in honor of individuals devoted to improving public healthcare.
- Iran: August 23, in honor of medical writer Avicenna’s birthday.
For more information on National Doctor’s Day please click here.
Supporting Doctors on National Doctor’s Day
Compliancy Group is committed to providing covered entities (CEs) with guidance on how to adapt to the changing work environment. There are several resources available to provide guidance on HIPAA and telehealth.
Need Help with HIPAA?
Let our complete HIPAA solution handle it.