The Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Office for Civil Rights (OCR) publicly posts breaches affecting 500 or more patients to its breach portal. There were 45 incidents reported in February 2021 affecting 1,234,943 patients. 35 of these incidents targeted healthcare providers, representing 82.29% of affected patients. 5 of these incidents targeted health plans, representing 13.64% of affected patients. 5 of these incidents targeted business associates, representing 4.08% of affected patients. More details on 2021 February healthcare breaches are discussed.
2021 February Healthcare Breaches: Hacking/IT Incidents Affected 1,058,371 Patients
There were 32 hacking/IT incidents affecting 1,058,371 patients. Of these incidents 85.69% targeted healthcare providers, 9.69% targeted health plans, and 4.62% targeted business associates.
- The Kroger Co.: 368,100 patients affected
- BW Homecare Holdings, LLC, in its capacity as the parent corporation of the Elara Caring single affiliated covered entity : 100,487 patients affected
- RF EYE PC dba Cochise Eye and Laser: 100,000 patients affected
- Gore Medical Management, LLC: 79,100 patients affected
- Nevada Orthopedic & Spine Center: 50,000 patients affected
- Covenant HealthCare: 47,178 patients affected